Breast revision surgery is a procedure that corrects and improves the results of a previous breast augmentation. John R. Barbour, MD, FACS, is a triple board-certified plastic and reconstructive surgeon offering breast revision for women in the Washington, DC area, including Fairfax, Arlington, Alexandria and surrounding communities in Virginia.
What is Breast Revision?
Women who had breast augmentation in the past may decide to have a second surgery to enhance the results of the previous surgery. The goal of the procedure is unique in each case. Some of the reasons Dr. Barbour recommends breast revision are:
- Change the size and shape of the implants
- Address scar tissue or a ruptured implant
- Completely remove the implants
- Abnormalities in the texture, shape, symmetry and other aspects of the breasts
What are the Benefits of Breast Revision?
Because the breasts play an important role in a woman’s sense of femininity, breast revision surgery has emotional and physical benefits.
- Feeling more comfortable with one’s body
- Breast size that suits a lifestyle
- Reduce the risk of complications
What is the Procedure for Breast Revision?
Breast revision surgery may involve several steps depending on the nature of the procedure. Whenever possible, Dr. Barbour uses the previous incision sites for the revision surgery.
- If the implant is being removed, Dr. Barbour checks the breast tissue and surrounding area for scar tissue and leakage.
- Lax muscles may be tightened with sutures.
- New implants are placed in the same pocket, or Dr. Barbour may use a different placement.
- Implants that have shifted are repositioned and soft tissue is modified to keep the implant in the proper location.
- A breast lift may be performed in conjunction with the revision to remedy sagging due to aging, pregnancy and other factors.
What Should I Expect After Breast Revision?
Breast revision is an outpatient procedure, so you will need someone to drive you home. We provide instructions for aftercare at that time, including:
- Restrictions on your activities
- Signs of possible complications
- Medications to take
- Follow-up appointments
Is the Cost of Breast Revision Covered by Insurance?
Breast revision surgery is a cosmetic procedure, so it is not covered by medical insurance. After your consultation with Dr. Barbour, we provide you with an estimated cost of the procedure. Barbour Plastic Surgery offers financing for qualified patients.
The goal of breast revision surgery is to improve the results of a previous breast surgery with implants. Dr. Barbour offers breast revision for women in the Washington, DC area, including Fairfax, Arlington, Alexandria and surrounding communities in Virginia. Contact Barbour Plastic Surgery to schedule a consultation.