Breast surgery is a popular plastic surgery option for men and women in the Washington, DC area, including Fairfax, Arlington, Alexandria and surrounding communities in Virginia. John R. Barbour, MD, FACS, is a triple board-certified plastic and reconstructive surgeon offering breast enhancement procedures.
What is Breast Surgery?
Breast enlargement and other types of breast enhancement procedures modify the shape, size and position of the breasts. Women choose to have breast surgery for many reasons, such as to fit more comfortably in their clothes or to feel more feminine. Gynecomastia surgery is a type of male breast reduction that is also growing in popularity for men who have enlarged breasts.
What are the Benefits of Breast Surgery?
- Improve body proportions
- Make the body more feminine or masculine
- Alleviate symptoms caused by overly large breasts
- Correct breast sagging caused by aging and pregnancy
- Reconstruct the breasts after mastectomy
What Breast Surgery Procedures are Available?
Men and women rely on the expertise of Dr. Barbour to improve their breasts. Our procedures enlarge or reduce breast size, lift sagging breasts, reconstruct the breast and correct issues from previous breast augmentation procedures.
- Breast Augmentation
- Breast Reduction
- Breast Lift (Mastopexy)
- Breast Reconstruction
- Breast Revision
- Gynecomastia Surgery
Is the Cost of Breast Surgery Covered by Insurance?
In most cases, breast enhancement is considered elective by medical insurance companies. Some breast reconstruction surgeries are partially covered, but this varies by policy. Barbour Plastic Surgery offers financing options should you be interested in making affordable monthly payments for your breast surgery. We encourage you to apply before your consultation so you know if the cost of the procedure fits your budget.
Breast Surgery Speaking Engagements & Publications
Published Breast Articles by Dr. Barbour
- Barbour JR, Sher SR, Iorio ML. Retrospective analysis of insurance-based reduction mammaplasties: long-term trends for subsequent cosmetic procedures. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Volume 132(2): 322-323. 2013
- Leppard MW, Reynolds MF, Schimpf DK, Baker MK, Barbour JR. Pyoderma Grangrenosum of the Breast Following Bilateral Simple Mastectomies for Ductal Carcinoma In-Situ.The American Surgeon. Volume 77: e144-6. 2011
Published Textbook Chapters by Dr. Barbour
- Barbour JR, Barbour EF, Herrmann VM. Surgical Nutrition and Metabolism. Currents Surgical Diagnosis and Treatment, McGraw-Hill, 2010, p 107-134.
- Barbour, JR. Armstrong, MB. Lower Extremity Reconstruction. Plastic Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery: The Essentials. World Scientific Publishing Company. 2011, p527-548.
- Barbour JR, Fox IK. Radial Nerve Palsy Management. Case Studies in Plastic Surgery, Thieme Publishers, 2014, p .
- Barbour JR, Fox IK. Tendon Transfers- Surgical Management of Peripheral Nerve Injury. Case Studies in Plastic Surgery, Thieme Publishers, 2014, p .
- Barbour JR, Fox IK. Dupuytren’s Disease. Case Studies in Plastic Surgery, Thieme Publishers, 2014 p .
- Barbour, JR. Peripheral Nerve Tumors. Peripheral Nerve Surgery, Mackinnon et al. 2015, p .
- Barbour, JR. Stem Cells and Translational Research. Lost in Translation. World Scientific Publishing Company, 2014, p503-246.
Breast Presentations by Dr. Barbour at National Meetings
- Barbour JR, Han K, Iorio ML, Myckatyn TM. Analysis of the Deep and Superior Inferior Epigastric Arteries Using CT Angiography: Relation to Abdominal Wall Thickness and BMI. American Society of Plastic Surgeons, October 12th, 2013, San Diego, CA
- Barbour JR, Dixon JA, O’Neill PJ. Multi-factor Analysis of Risk for Complication Following Perforator Flap Breast Reconstruction: A Review of 240 Consecutive DIEP Breast Flaps. American Society of Reconstructive Microsurgery. January 17th 2011, Cancun, Mexico
- Barbour JR, Dixon JA, Walding JL, Schimpf DK, O’Neill PJ. Impact of Heparin-Antibody Screening on Free Tissue Transfer (DIEP) in Autologous Breast Reconstruction. Southeastern Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons, June 14th, 2010, Palm Beach, FL
- Barbour JR, Schimpf DK, O’Neill PJ. Obesity Affects DIEP Flap Outcomes and Donor Site Complications. Southeastern Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons, June 15th, 2010. Palm Beach, FL
- Barbour JR, Murrel AM, Sonfield JS, Pearson J. Ductal Carcinoma In Situ Arising In Fibroadenoma; Southeastern Surgical Congress. February 8th, 2009. Atlanta, GA
Dr. Barbour offers breast surgery for men and women in the Washington, DC area, including Fairfax, Arlington, Alexandria and surrounding communities in Virginia. Contact Barbour Plastic Surgery to schedule a consultation.